The University of Zambia ( English : University of Zambia ) is Zambia ‘s oldest public university and, together with the Copperbelt University ( Kitwe ) and Mulungushi University ( Kabwe ), one of only three universities under state control. The country has five private universities with a sixth, Catholic posed in the offing. 
Early in the fifties, the establishment of a university in the then Northern Rhodesia came up, but after the Central African Federation was established in 1953, gave up the idea in favor of a multiracial university Salisbury . Only ten years later, when dissolved the federation and a majority government came to power, had the proposal serious consideration.
The government of Sir John Lockwood, former vice-chancellor of the University of London, was appointed chairman of a commission that had examined the idea. In its submission in November 1963 ordered the commission unanimously that a university in Lusaka is desirable. Four months later appointed a provisional council for the envisaged university had to ensure that it is established. In July 1964, the government research institute Rhodes Livingstone, who did in the field of social anthropology since 1938 valuable work, brought to the board’s control. Thirteen months later, the Oppenheimer College of Social Service also incorporated when major enhancements to the college’s campus in John Mbita Road, Ridgeway, Lusaka , was already under way. 
Signed in October 1965 President Kenneth Kaunda Act 66 of 1965 and when it was on 12 November 1965 comes into force, comes the University of Zambia officially established. The first students on 17 March 1966 registered, when the first classes began on the Ridgeway campus. Kaunda on 12 July 1966 was inaugurated as first chancellor and the next day he laid the corner stone for the campus in the Great East Road.
The university began with three faculties: education, humanities and social sciences, and natural sciences. Eventually eight result: real, engineering, medicine, agricultural science, mining, business and industrial studies (in Ndola ), environmental studies (in Ndola ) and veterinary science. The university began with 312 students and is expected that the number of students to about 8000 would level off. When the Lusaka -kampus from bursting at the seams, in 1975 decided Unza would federally developed the first faculty in 1978 Ndola open. A section on Solwezi has also been in the offing. The new constituent institution of Unza is housed on the campus of the Zambia Institute of Technology in Kitwe , the other major city in the Copperbelt . The expectation was that the institution would remain there for long and eventually to Ndola , that province’s capital, would shift.
The government, however, on 1 December 1987 issued a law setting up Ndola converted in the Copperbelt University (Copperbelt University) which has since been independently and as a whole in Kitwe is situated. 
- Jump up↑ http://www.zambian.com/html/education-in-zambia.html
- Jump up↑ http://www.unza.zm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=32&limit=1&limitstart=1
- Jump up↑ http://www.cbu.edu.zm/about-us